Visas and Residence

Students from EU Member States need only a valid passport or Identity Card to enter Greece.  If you are staying longer than three months, you are required to register with the Aliens Office at the Police Headquarters of the Municipality where you are living.  This is a straightforward and quick procedure.

If your country of origin is not an EU Member, you may need a visa.  Check the Ministry of Foreign Affairs site for up to date information on which nationalities require visas, and contact the Greek Embassy or Consulate in your home country for entrance regulations prior to your departure.

If you are a student accepted for full-time study at the University either for a full degree programme or through a student exchange programme, you will need a student visa (Type D) issued by the Greek embassy or consul in your country of residence. To obtain this visa you will need a letter from the University which states the reason for your visit and the duration of your stay as well as other documents (the Greek Embassy or Consul in your home country will advise you).

Family Members: If you are a married student (EU & non-EU citizens) and planning to bring your family here for the duration of your studies, you are advised to bring with you documents required by the Greek public services. These are: copies of your marriage certificate and the birth certificates of your children which have been verified as true copies - ie stamped with an Apostille stamp by the authority that issued the certificates in your country. This should be done before you arrive in Greece.

Note: entry with a tourist visa is not acceptable for students accepted for studies at the University of Crete. You risk having to return to your home country to apply for the correct entry visa.

After Arrival

Your initial entry visa is a 3-month single or multiple entry visa.
On arrival, if your study period is longer than 3 months, you will need to apply for a residence permit which will be valid for the duration of your studies and, for those of you accompanied by your families, a permit for each family member.

Applications for residence permits in Crete are made at the Immigration Office the Regional Administration Authority. The local offices of the Regional Authority which issue residence permits are:

For Heraklion:

Elefthernis & Suvritou 2,

Heraklion, Crete,  GR-71305 

Tel: +30 2810 264153

Fax:+30 2810 264160


For Rethymnon:  

Apolloniatou 6,

Rethymnon, Crete, GR-74100

Tel: +30 28310-20801

Fax:+30 28310-23085



As the procedure of applying for a residence permit can be very time-consuming, you are advised to start the application process soon after you arrive (i.e. not  to wait until your entry visa expires).


For further information or assistance contact the International Office

Last update 14/10/2016